第 31 章(3 / 4)

n reality, ...】

理论上,… 现实上,…

24【People have mixed views on...】

人们各持不同看法

25【It stands to reason that...】

…是符合常理的

26【be a highly charged issue】

是一个备受争议的话题

27【ignite fierce debate】

引发了激烈的争论

28【be a well-established fact】

是人们所共知的事实

29【The tide of opinion is now running steadily against...】

目前的观点普遍倾向于反对…

30【The concerns that...are well-justified.】

对于某事的担心是完全合理的。

【补充】

《妇女..参..政..论..者》

1.Testimony

And the prime minister, Mr. Asquith, has agreed to a hearing of testimonies of working women up and down the country.

阿斯奎斯先生,首相已经同意全国的劳动妇女举行一个听证会。

2.Respectable

You want me to respect the law, then make the law respectable.

你想我尊重法律,那就让法律变得值得尊敬。

3.Scruple

She’s educated without scruples, which makes her particularly dangerous.

她是个被训练过毫无顾忌的人,所以她特别危险。

4.Equilibrium

You know, they say that the way certain types of women have been acting these past few months lends a good deal of color to the argument that the mental equilibrium of the female s.e.x is less than that of the male’s.

你知道,他们说某些类型的女人过去几个月来行动的方式给一种争论增添了不少色彩,即女人不如男人心理平衡。

5.Militant

We do not want to be lawbreakers. We want to be lawmakers.

我们不想违法。我们想成为立.法.者。

Be militant, each of you in your own way.

去奋斗吧,用你自己的方式。

Those of you who can break the windows, break them.

你们谁能打破窗户,就去打破。

Those of you who can further attack the sacred idol of property, do so.

你们谁能进一步攻击神圣的财产圣像,就去做。

We have been left with no alternative but to defy this government.

我们别无选择,只能违抗旧体系。

If we must go to prison to obtain the vote, let it be the window of government, not the bodies of women which shall be broken.

如果我们必须进监狱才能获得投票.权,就让它成为撕开旧体系的窗口,而不仅是被伤害的妇女的身体。

I incite this meeting and all the women in Britain to rebellion.

最新小说: 混沌心经 美容养生专业知识 康熙帝之德妃传 阎医生是大魔王 穿越成了一只妖,我要做妖神 家族修仙,我是宝体天灵根 王爷!你被娇娇缠上啦 前夫的情敌总撩我怎么破 小夜曲 容裔不容易